It’s been a standing tradition for me and J (and Henry) to head to my family’s place in Pennsylvania over the Thanksgiving holiday (and to J’s family in Georgia over Christmas), but sadly, this year we decided to forgo the trip because 1. Henry is still recovering from major doggy hip surgery and 2. I’m too fat and gassy and small-bladdered to sit in a car for over 8 hours.
Even though it was probably the best decision for us, I was still a little bummed about not being able to see my family before Baby Z’s arrival in a couple of months (gulp). But with the help of my dear husband and sweet puppy, we managed to rally and put together a pretty cozy (and delicious) family Thanksgiving feast. J made an amazing roast chicken that may need to become a new Z family Thanksgiving tradition, I made some diver sea scallops and arugula salad, and Henry got a bully stick the size of a small oak tree to munch on. Not too shabby.
Because of our stay-cation this year, I also had a lot more time to reflect on everything that I have to be thankful for this year – and there is a lot to be thankful for. This is my short list:
1. My husband – It’s hard to believe (and remember) that J and I got married in March of this year! March seems like a million years ago, especially since it’s been a million years since I’ve been able to see my toes, much less fit into my wedding gown (sniff). But I am thankful each and every day that I’m married to my best friend and to the nicest, funniest, and as I’m discovering now that I’ve turned into a raging shrew, the most patient man I’ve ever known.
2. My family – the one I grew up with and the new one that I’m forging. I’ve never been as appreciative of or as thankful for my family as I do now that I am about to start my own. Even though my family members are littered all over the world, I see, hear, feel, and am thankful for their love and support every day. Baby Z is going to have some pretty amazing grandparents, grand-aunties (or is it great aunties?), uncles and aunts!
3. My adopted family of friends – Because my family is scattered all over the world (and sadly, none are in New York), the amazing friends that I’ve made over the past couple of decades have become my extended family, and I’m so grateful for their years of unwavering support (sometimes literally as I stumbled home over way one too many margaritas on a Monday, err, Friday night) – Baby Z, pretend that you never saw this).
4. My puppy – did you think I would leave my Henry out of my list!? He may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but I am thankful to him each and every day for helping me become a more humble, patient, and humorous person. It’s hard not to learn how to laugh at yourself when you find yourself clinging on to the edge of your king sized bed every night because you don’t have the heart to disturb your sleeping puppy sprawled out like a sultan in the middle…and see your husband doing the same thing on his side of the bed.
5. My health – did I mention yet that I DON’T have gestational diabetes!? HALLELUJAH. Other than this diabetes scare, I am so thankful that this has been a fairly calm/uneventful/healthy pregnancy (*knock on wood). Yes, my back hurts like a mother effer and my farts can clear a room, but I know that it could be so, so much worse. Like, I could spontaneously sh*t in my pants every time I sneeze like an unfortunate friend of mine.
6. My baby – thank you for picking me to be your mom. I promise that I will try my hardest not to mess you up too much. I can’t wait to meet you in a few short weeks. Please go easy on my vagina, KTHX!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!